My mother recently passed away and I was named as the dependent administrator of her estate. What is my role in this position? What is the difference between an independent and dependent administrator of the estate? Is there any way I can alter the court’s decision?

– Julia, Des Plaines

Julia, we appreciate your question. As the dependent administrator of your mother’s estate, you will have to obtain the court’s approval for various decisions involved with handling the estate, including, but not limited to, paying bills and deciphering what happens to your mother’s property. You are still in charge of her estate; however, you need the court’s approval to make some decisions. An independent administrator has more control over the estate. He or she does not need the courts to determine whether certain actions are appropriate. You can petition the court to attempt to alter your role as administrator of your mother’s estate.