A litigation attorney in Chicago who practices in the field of elder law has a unique set of circumstances to navigate. While knowledge about the laws relating to guardianship, trusts, estates and a host of other applicable fields is obviously paramount, elder law attorneys must also possess a full understanding of the physical and mental challenges that aging individuals face. In order to best serve the needs of their clients, the attorneys at Peck Ritchey, LLC exhibit all of the following qualities, which are necessary to ensure the best possible representation.
Knowledge In A Variety Of Fields
The breadth of responsibility for an elder care litigation attorney in Chicago is far-reaching and extremely varied. Just some of the areas in which representation by a litigator may be necessary include:
- Estate Matters
- Fiduciary Matters
- Disputed Accountings
- Recovery of Assets
- Heirship Disputes
Top lawyers in the field, like those at Peck Ritchey, strive to stay informed on changing regulations, trends, and applicable precedents that may affect their clients. When seeking an elder care litigation attorney in Chicago, it’s important to look for someone with extensive knowledge in all aspects of the law that may affect your case. Guardianship issues, for example, can involve asset dispersal or have fiduciary ramifications. A qualified attorney needs to have the necessary knowledge base to be able to make timely and astute recommendations.
A Wealth Of Experience
Of similar importance is ensuring that the law firm you choose to represent you in elder care matters has the necessary experience in the specific type of law your case will require. If a given case requires litigation, it’s of vital importance that the attorney have a track record of success in working with cases similar to yours. Some firms maintain a general focus, while others may specialize in a particular area of elder law. A well-qualified firm will employ lawyers with a wide range of skill sets and experience to ensure that they are equipped to handle cases of every type.
The Responsibilities Of A Litigation Attorney In Chicago
Working with Peck Ritchey litigators means having the peace of mind that your case is being handled with the upmost professionalism and skill. A litigation attorney in Chicago must be prepared to navigate each step of the process, which can involve a great deal of detail-oriented work even before the trial begins.
- Assessment — The initial case investigation to determine the details of your case and formulate a litigation plan moving forward. This first step may also encompass examining evidence, locating and taking statements from witnesses, and gathering any supporting documents.
- Pre-Trial — Other responsibilities leading up to trial include filing motions and pleas, retaining expert witnesses, and finalizing any case discovery matters. Each detail of this process should be thoroughly communicated to ensure that the client is well aware of the details of their case. This is also the final opportunity for the case to be settled outside of court.
- Trial — If the case is not settled by this point, which the vast majority are, then a qualified litigator must be prepared to present the case before a judge. This is the part of the process that most people think of when picturing the responsibilities of a litigator. The truth is, while the trial can often be the most stressful part of the process for the client, much of the work has already been done in advance by the litigation team.
- Settlement — A settlement can be reached at any time during the litigation process, and many cases are settled before ever reaching the trial stage. At this stage it is the responsibility of the attorney to handle negotiations, and draft a settlement decision with the client’s best interest in mind.
- Appeal — If the outcome of the case is not deemed to be favorable, it may be appealed. At this point, litigators will identify grounds for appeal and draft post-trial motions to begin the process, at all times keeping clients informed about the next step.
At Peck Ritchey, LLC we understand that the litigation process can be extremely intimidating for families and individuals who are involved in the litigation of contested wills, trusts, or guardianships. Our attorneys possess the knowledge, versatility and experience to help determine the best course of action for your case. To learn more about our services or to retain a litigation attorney in Chicago, contact us at 855-328-5787.